Adult Upgrading Program
A high school education opens the door to limitless opportunities. One door opens to further education; another door opens to apprentice programs; another door opens to self-employment; yet another door will lead to leadership within the community and the Nation. Open the door to fulfill your dream. Whatever it may be, this is the starting point.
The following courses will be offered for the 2016/2017 quarters.
- Aboriginal Studies 20, 30
- Biology 20, 30
- Blackfoot 10, 20, 30
- Computer 10, 20
- English 10-2, 20-2, 30-1, 30-2
- Learning Strategies 15, 25
- Math 10-3, 20-3, 30-3, 10C, 20-1, 30-1
- Physical Education 30
- Science 14, 24
- Social 10-2, 20-2, 30-2
After determining your qualification and selecting a program in Steps 1 and 2, you are ready to apply. Follow the remaining steps below.
Step 3: Admission
The final registration date for classes is the first day of each new quarter.
To discuss your admission to the high school upgrading program please contact Old Sun Community College.
- In person at Old Sun Community College. Click here for directions.
- Phone: 1-888-734-3862
- Email: email@example.com
As part of the Admissions process, you will meet with a Career Services counsellor to develop an education and training plan. You may also be asked to submit your band number, S.I. number, high school transcripts and other paper work (such as tax assessments) during the application process. Don’t worry if you don’t have all the information at hand. Staff at Old Sun will assist you with requesting transcripts and filling out forms as needed.
The following forms are required to register:
- Registration Form
- Library Registration Form
- Computer Usage Agreement Form
- Memorandum of Understanding Form
Step 4: Funding
There are three funding streams to cover the costs of tuition, books and living allowance: Alberta Works, University & College Entrance Preparation (U.C.E.P.), and Student Aid Alberta. Below are the deadline dates and basic information about funded programs. Please see Crystal Many Bears in the Student Services office (ext 244) for more details.
Note: Students are eligible for only one source of funding at a time.
- May 15 deadline for Sept 1 enrollment
- October 15 deadline for February enrollment
- Be prepared to meet with a coordinator for 1 – 2 hours to complete the application
- Funding is limited to 20 students per semester
- The funding generally covers 20 months of funding, which is approximately two years in school
- Proof of satisfactory attendance and a grade of at least 50% in your classes is required to continue funding throughout your high school upgrading
- Living Allowance: Students who are currently receiving regular benefits (living allowance) through Siksika Income Support will continue to receive benefits under the Learners’ Benefits. Please talk to Crystal for more information in regards to receiving and maintaining your funding throughout your program.
University & College Entrance Preparation (U.C.E.P.)
- Deadline to complete application is June 15 of each year
- Studies must be completed within one academic year – 10 months
- Must possess 65 to 75 credits at the grade 11 level or equivalent
- The student will not qualify for U.C.E.P. if he/she has been supported by the Postsecondary Student Support Program in the past
Student Aid (http://studentaid.alberta.ca/)
- More details to come
Step 5: Costs
- Siksika members who are unfunded will be charged a nominal:
- $20.00 registration fee
- $40.00 book fee
- $20.00 monthly bus pass (depending on available space)
- Non-Siksika members fees TBA
Step 6: Proof of Registration
Once you have met with the registrar or counsellor and have been accepted to Adult Upgrading at OSCC, you will receive a Proof of Registration letter. This letter will be available at the College and may also be sent to you by email.
Step 7: Notice of Funding
The waiting period for letters of confirmation of funding is generally four to six week after submitting a completed application.
Step 8: First Day of School
Congratulations, you’re in! Be sure to bring your Proof of Registration and Textbook Rental Receipt.